Yeshiva College Primary School
Yeshiva College Primary School provides our learners with a holistic education that is focused on high levels of academic achievement across both our Limudei Kodesh and General Studies disciplines.
This focus, together with the love for the State of Israel and the Jewish Community at large, instils in each child a unique set of values, essential to Jewish life and a successful future. Responsibility to the land of South Africa and outreach across the broader community forms a great part of the ethos of the school. Parents and teachers work closely together in achieving this objective, thereby enriching the path of education for all children.
Yeshiva Primary School is committed to creating a warm, nurturing environment, one in which each and every learner feels safe, comfortable, happy and ready to learn.
The Yeshiva Primary School staff complement consists of a group of professional educators, committed to ongoing professional development and personal growth across all areas of education.
Limudei Kodesh is the backbone of Yeshiva Primary School. Our curriculum consists of the following:
- Daily early morning davening
- Torah values and Jewish traditions
- Chumash with Rashi and grammar skills which includes the JCP Chumash Curriculum a 21st Century Learning Programme
- Hebrew reading and writing
- Ivrit – conversation, grammar and vocabulary
- Teaching of Dinim (laws and customs)
- Parashat Hashavua (weekly Torah Portion)
- Yediot Klaliot – Jewish general knowledge grade 4 – 6
- Tales of Tzadikim – grade 1 – 2
- Pirkei Avot – Grade 3
- Navi – Grades 4-6
- Commitment to the State of Israel
Yeshiva College Primary school General Studies curriculum follows the guidelines of the Department of Education as set down by the G D E, and is compliant with the CAPS document. The Primary School is a registered IEB Primary School and curricula guidelines are further supplemented by the requirements of the IEB.
- Grade 1 – 3 (Foundation Phase)
- Numeracy – Singapore Maths Grade 1-3
- Literacy – Development of essential English literacy skills as the 1st language
- Life Skills – A subject that combines the Sciences, History, Geography and Health
- Grade 4 – 6 (Intermediate Phase)
- English – Development of essential English literacy skills as the 1st language
- Mathematics and numeracy skills (Singapore Maths Grade 4)
- Natural Science/ Social Science
- Physical Education
- Media Studies (library and ICT skills)
Extra Curricular Activities
Yeshiva College Primary School offers a wide range of both sporting and non-sporting extra curricular activities for both girls and boys specific to the different grades. Learners are encouraged to participate in at least one of the following activities:
- Fabric Painting
- General Knowledge
- Master Chef
- Board Games
- Athletics and cross country
- Soccer for boys and girls
- Academic support classes (recommended by the class teachers)
School Starting times
School begins at 07h40 Monday – Friday for all grades.
School finishing times:
Grade 1: 13h30 – Monday to Friday
Grade 2: 14h00 – Monday to Thursday; 13h30 Friday
Grades 3 – 6: 14h30 – Monday to Thursday; 14h00 Friday